Thursday, October 05, 2006

Blogging

Some wonder when they can expect me to post in this blog. I have tried a regular pattern so the readers (my wife and my mom) will know when to check back for new thoughts. But I found that trying to follow a regular pattern becomes forced and then the quality goes down. It is not that I don’t have things to post it is just that some posts require the right timing.

One writing professor I had in college told me to write everyday no matter what. I don’t write everyday but I certainly do write way more than anyone will ever see. I have writings titled, “laying in the grass”, “riding on buses”, “I don’t believe in atheists”, and “running is bad” to name just a few. Some of the writings unveil deeper insights into this world in which we live and others are simply random stories that are amusing to me.

The bottom line is that I look for inspiration everywhere and overlook nothing. When I write I hope to entertain, to challenge, or to help the reader’s struggle with insomnia. But I don’t want to be flippant about it. In the words of your beloved G.K. Chesterton, “I don’t have time to be flippant”. So keep coming back and you may find deep truth hidden in the lives of two young boys, or inspiration found in the flight of a hummingbird. The annoying bark of a neighbor’s dog may produce a story funny enough to brighten your day or a tale of driving in Los Angeles may make you realize your life is not so bad.

All of this is to say thank you for coming back to read my ramblings and for those of you who contribute with ramblings of your own. As I work to become a better writer I will continue to bring my thoughts and I am happy to have you along for the ride.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

You qoute and write so much...so what have you been reading? Has there been a book recently that has just blown you away?

Marc David said...

Hey, thanks for writing. This one of my favorites e-spots to visit. I just thought I would drop a line and say it's not just your wife and mom listening.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ryan! I always love to read what you are inspired by, it helps me remember the little things I do overlook at times....-caitlyn

Ryan said...

Kevin- I try to read a few books per month but I try to keep the genres varied. Honestly, I have not been blown away for a while. I guess Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was a bit of a challenge to digest.

Actually, I am currently reading "Simply Christian" by NT Wright and so far it is great, and I am reading a book called "Jesus of Nazareth" by Joseph Klausner and it is very thorough and filled with great info.

TheDavid of Tusla- Thanks for checking in and the link. I appreciate it.

Caitlyn- You finally speak!