Tuesday, November 06, 2012

I Voted


Today is the day when the people of Ohio will finally tell our country who will be the next President. It is also the day when the rest of us get the opportunity to cast votes for other candidates and propositions. This day is one of the things that makes America great and it is also the day that represents division more than unity.

The other day I had a great conversation with Christian friends about politics and I'm pretty sure that some now question my salvation. Somehow I missed the political science class that explained how Republican politics equals Christian values so now my whole life is in question. (I knew I should not have skipped that day).

I believe that some Republican candidates and positions possess some values that are supported in scripture but some Democrat candidates and positions also possess some Biblical values. I have no problem with Christians on both sides of the aisle who vote straight party lines as their own conviction but I don't want them to blame Jesus for this decision.

Let's be honest, we willingly cling to a few select issues in the name of our faith while ignoring the other things a candidate stands for. Most of the time we end up voting for the "lesser of two evils" as if that is the way to vote with conviction.

However you do it, take pride in knowing that you have a vote and if you live in Ohio your vote actually counts. So put on your "I voted" sticker, make sure you leave no "hanging chads", and let the world know what you think.




No comments: